Category Archives: Drifter/Trawler

S.D/T. Ocean Vim YH88 (Seasonal)


Copyright 2010 © by Barry Banham for FMHT.

Technical

Official Number: 161633
Yard Number: 627
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 125
Net Tonnage: 55
Length: 94.3 ft
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Depth: 9.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl A Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Boiler: Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1930: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.627) for Bloomfields Ltd, Great Yarmouth as OCEAN VIM.
28.5.1930: Registered at Yarmouth (YH88).
5.1930: Completed (Neil Mackay, manager).
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Padstow and Fleetwood (Bloomfields Ltd, Fleetwood, managing agents).
7.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (LL Sweep) (P.No.FY.951) (Hire rate £70.9.4d/month).
1941: Based Barrow.
28.10.1939: Stood down role not determined.
13.11.1939: Employed on port duties.
5.1943: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
2.1944: Re-deployed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
3.1946: Returned to owner.
7.11.1949: Landed 205 crans of herring at Yarmouth.
1950s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood.
31.12.1954: Sold to Milford Haven Coal Supplies Ltd, Milford Haven (William Wilcox, manager).
25.11.1955: Registered at Yarmouth as SALLY MCCABE (YH88).
2.5.1957: Sold to East Briton Fishing Co Ltd, Milford Haven (Frank Squires, manager).
5.1958: Arrived Lowestoft for conversion to diesel propulsion.
7.1958: Converted to diesel propulsion by Richards Iron Works Ltd, Lowestoft – 5-cyl 360bhp oil engine by Crossley Bros Ltd, Manchester.
23.7.1958: Sailed Lowestoft for Milford on completion of conversion.
2.1970: Company in liquidation.
3.1970: Sold by the liquidators to Hubert Jones (Trawlers) Ltd, Swansea (Frank Squires, Milford appointed manager).
5.4.1970: Sheltering off Rosslare, Co. Wexford (Sk. Louie Kominek), John E. Norman, 2nd Eng, washed overboard.
1976: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Briton Ferry. Arrived Briton Ferry in tow of JADESTAR GYPSY (LT53).
21.6.1976: Yarmouth registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Ocean Vim YH88

S.T. Ocean Vim YH88
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.T. Ocean Vim YH88

S.T. Ocean Vim YH88
Picture © John Clarkson

S.T. Ocean Vim YH88

S.T. Ocean Vim YH88
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

HMS Ocean Vim

HMS Ocean Vim
Picture from the Internet

S.D/T. Ocean Vim YH88

S.D/T. Ocean Vim YH88
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.D/T. Ocean Vim YH88

S.D/T. Ocean Vim YH88
Picture (at Padstow) courtesy of Maureen Tatlow

S.D/T. Ocean Vim YH88

S.D/T. Ocean Vim YH88
Picture (at Padstow) courtesy of Maureen Tatlow

S.D/T. Sally McCabe YH88

S.D/T. Sally McCabe YH88
Picture courtesy of Peter Green

M.T. Sally McCabe YH88

M.T. Sally McCabe YH88
Picture courtesy of Peter Green

M.T. Sally McCabe YH88

M.T. Sally McCabe YH88
Picture courtesy of Peter Green

Changelog
02/04/2010: Page published. 6 updates since then.
08/12/2015: Pictures added.
07/04/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.D. Fisher Lad BF204

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Andy Hall

Technical

Official Number: 145559
Yard Number: 860
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: Lea Shipbuilding & Repairing Co, Canning Town
Engine: 270ihp T.3-cyl by D. & R. B. Scott, Tayport
Boiler: Hewitt & Kellitt Ltd, Bradford

History

1919: Launched by Lea Shipbuilding & Repairing Co, Canning Town (Yd.No.860) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as WHITECLOUD.
25.8.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
9.12.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal. Laid up at Dundee.
1921: Sold to A. Lewis McCombie, Granton (Thomas Murphy, manager) for £4,875 under HM Treasury mortgage agreement (Disposal of Admiralty Drifters to Ex-service Fishermen).
1922: Registered at Leith (LH304). Official No.145559.
1922: Registered at Leith as ADMIRAL STARTIN (LH304).
1.1926: Sold to Samuel Chapman Snr, Samuel Chapman Jnr, Fred Chapman and Benjamin Chapman, Grimsby (64/64 joint owners). Samuel Chapman Jnr designated managing owner.
1.1926: Leith registry closed.
13.1.1926: Registered at Grimsby (GY376).
4.1926: Sold to John Pirie (16/64), James Pirie (16/64), William Pirie (21/64) and George Paul (11/64), all Portknockie.
30.4.1926: James Pirie designated managing owner.
30.4.1926: Grimsby registry closed.
5.5.1926: Registered at Banff as FISHER LAD (BF204).
20.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service and employed on harbour defence patrol duties (P.No.FY.282) (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
1944: Sold to Supreme Fishcuring Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
10.11.1945: Returned to owner. Laid up.
1947: Sold Hjalmar Naess, Haugesund, Norway.
1947: Banff registry closed. Registered at Haugesund as STEFFEN NAESS (R-45-H).
By 1949: Converted to dry cargo. 100grt 49net.
By 1949: Converted to motor and fitted with oil engine by Wichmann Mtrf, Rubbestadneset, Norway.
21.04.1961: On passage Moss towards Stavanger with a cargo of barley (Capt Hjalmar Naess). Capsized off Kristiansund when cargo shifted and foundered. Master and his two sons lost. Registry closed.
Click to enlarge images

S.T. Fisher Lad BF204

S.T. Fisher Lad BF204
Picture courtesy of The Carolyn Hatt Collection

Changelog

27/03/2010: Page published. 11 updates since then.
05/07/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
29/08/2020: Updated history.

S.D/T. Pilot Star KY84

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4150
Official Number: 145554
Yard Number: 501
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T-3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt Yarmouth
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft

History

1919: Launched by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.501) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as DRIZZLE (Ad.No.4150).
10.2.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
8.5.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
1920: Sold to John Hackland, Newhaven, Edinburgh (Arthur A. W. Smith, Leith, manager).
1921: Registered at Leith (LH290).
4.1923: Sold to Star Drift Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (George Catchpole, manager).
4.1923: Leith registry closed.
11.4.1923: Registered at Lowestoft (LT1060).
25.4.1923: Registered at Lowestoft as PILOT STAR (LT1060).
1.1925: Sold to D. Smith, Willam W. Carstairs, Cellardyke, John T. Graham, Anstruther & W. C. Wilson, North Shields (John T. Graham, manager).
10.1.1925: Lowestoft registry closed.
1.1925: Registered at Kirkcaldy (KY48).
6.6.1934: Arrived Lerwick with ten survivors of the Granton steam trawler JAMES EVANS (GN29) which had started to take in water some 105 miles SEbyS of Bard Head, Shetland on 4.6.1934. Vessel foundered on the morning of 5.6. 1934 and men spent eight hours in boat before being picked up at 5.00am.
1939: Sold to Mrs Margaret C. Smith, Cellardyke.
23.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and employed on miscellaneous Naval duties (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
1945: Sold to Wellvale Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
1946: Returned to owner. Laid up.
1948: Sold to Drifters (Peterhead) Ltd, Peterhead (Caledonian Fishselling Co Ltd & Others) (R. Foreman, manager).
1948: Kirkcaldy registry closed.
1948: Registered at Fraserburgh (FR106).
1951: Sold to John A. Buchan & William Buchan, Peterhead.
1951: Fraserburgh registry closed.
1951: Registered at Peterhead (PD200).
Late 1953: Sold for breaking up. Peterhead registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Pilot Star PD200

S.D/T. Pilot Star PD200
Picture courtesy of The Ally Collection

S.D. Pilot Star FR106

S.D. Pilot Star FR106
Picture courtesy of The Scratcher Collection

Changelog

27/03/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
04/07/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
14/07/2021: Updated history.

S.D/T. Inspiration LT1211 (Seasonal)

Copyright 2010 © by Barry Banham.

Technical

Official Number: 140020
Yard Number: 17
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 44
Length: 86.0 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: J. W. Brooke & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Elliott & Garood Ltd, Beccles

History

1918: Ordered by The Admiralty from J. W. Brooke & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (“Admiralty drifter”) as OUTLINE.
17.12.1918: Order cancelled but steel ordered and decided to go ahead with build on spec.
1920: Launched (Yd.No.17) for John W. Brooke (32/64), Adrian Lodge & John W. M. Brooke, Lowestoft (32/64 joint shares) as OUTLINE.
12.1920: Completed.
2.12.1920: Registered at Lowestoft (LT1211).
1.4.1921: Sold to William B. Jenner (24/64), John A. Jenner (24/64) & Edward Kemp, (16/64) all Lowestoft.
9.10.1924: Sold to Arthur Gouldby, Lowestoft.
6.5.1926: Renamed INSPIRATION (LT1211).
1920/30s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood, managing agent).
27.6.1928: Typical landing at Fleetwood, 50 boxes.
2.7.1934: Connected to FLORA TAYLOR (LT239) disabled with machinery problem and delivered Fleetwood.
28.1.1935: Put into Dover with machinery problem (broken HP slipper).
7.11.1936: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (A. W. Watson, manager).
21.11.1936: Renamed NORBREEZE (LT1211). Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood.
28.10.1939: Requisitioned for war service as boom defence support drifter (P.No.Z.162) (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
11.6.1943: Compulsorily purchased by M.O.W.T.
6.8.1943: Lowestoft registry closed “Registry no longer required”.
3.6.1947: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (A. W. Watson, manager).
30.7.1947: Registered at Lowestoft (LT316).
30.10.1947: Sold to Nord (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (A. W. Watson, manager).
1.1955: Sold to Belgian shipbreakers.
24.1.1955: Sailed Lowestoft for Antwerp.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Inspiration LT1211

S.T. Inspiration LT1211
Picture courtesy of the Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

Changelog
26/03/2010: Page published. 5 updates since then.
02/07/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
27/01/2021: Updated history.

S.D/T. Advisable LT168 (Seasonal)

Seasonal Visitors
“Copyright 2010 ©Barry Banham”

Technical

Official Number: 149245
Yard Number: 582
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 115
Net Tonnage: 52
Length: 92.0 ft
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Draught: 9.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. Burrell & Co, Gt Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Lowestoft

History

1930: Launched by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.582) for George H. Tripp, Lowestoft as ADVISABLE.
9.1930: Completed.
19.9.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT168).
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agent).
11.4.1937: Out of Fleetwood. In a swell, damaged propeller with trawl door.
8.5.1937: Stripped propeller. SILVER SEAS (LT235) connected and delivered Fleetwood.
24.1.1939: Connected to KINDRED STAR (LT177) disabled and delivered Lowestoft.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1500) (Hire rate £64.16.7d/month).
4.1943: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
18.12.1945: Sold to Gilbert & Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Arthur Gilbert, manager).
12.1945: Returned to owner.
1953-1954: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood.
25.3.1953: First landing 123 boxes/15 baskets – £487 gross.
21.8.1954: Last landing at Fleetwood 90 boxes/15 baskets – £620 gross.
29.9.1954: Sold to Mercury Fisheries Ltd, Halifax, NS (Paul Stockhammer, London, manager).
11.10.1954: Lowestoft registry closed. Registered at Halifax, NS.
20.10.1954: Sailed Lowestoft For Halifax, NS, via Newlyn and Azores for bunkers.
16.11.1954: Arrived Halifax, NS.
1956: Sold to Ministry of Trade & Industry, Halifax, NS.
17.2.1957: Sold to C. C. Chappell, Sydney, NS.
Late 1975: Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Advisable LT168

S.T. Advisable LT168
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Advisable LT168

S.T. Advisable LT168
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Advisable LT168

S.T. Advisable LT168
Picture courtesy of the Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

Changelog
24/03/2010: Page published. 5 updates since then.
25/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image. Added another image.