Category Archives: Steamers (Picture)

S.T. Almandine H415

Technical

Official Number: 163097
Yard Number: 572
Completed: 1932
Gross Tonnage: 295 (287)
Net Tonnage: 135n (126)
Length: 129.0 ft
Breadth: 24.0 ft
Depth: 12.9 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

27.9.1929: The Board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd requested Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd to submit a design for a new class of trawler for use on the North Sea and Faroes grounds.
18.12.1929: Design was approved and contracts signed with the shipyard to build the ships and with Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd to make the engine and boiler at a total cost of £14,025. The name chosen was AVANTURINE (Yd.No.542). In the tender the shipyard included the option to build additional vessels to this design at the same price.
19.1.1931: The option was exercised and a further two vessels ordered, the price agreed was £13,850 and names chosen SIBERITE (Yd.No.564) and EUCLUSE (Yd.No.565).
20.1.1932: Two further vessels were ordered the price agreed being £13,450. The names chosen were ALMANDINE and PYROPE.
Total cost for ALMANDINE, with amendments, fishing gear and other equipment £14,024.11.10d.
5.4.1932: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.572) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ALMANDINE.
30.4.1932: Registered at Hull (H415).
12.5.1932: Completed (John William Lown, manager).
14.5.1932: Sailed on first trip to Faroe grounds.
4.8.1932: Landed 641 kits of herring grossed £361.
19.10.1933: In strong SSE wind connected to trawler De la POLE (H395) disabled with fouled propeller.
20.10.1933: Delivered Hull (awarded £250 by Hull Steam Trawlers Mutual Insurance & Protecting Co Ltd).
19.11.1938: On St. Andrew’s dock slip fitted with bronze propeller.
30.5.1939: In Princess Dock, Hull. Boiler fitted with superheater by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd.
25.7.1939: Insured value £13,900.
29.8.1939: Admiralty telegram informing owners that ship would be requisitioned at 5.00 pm.
30.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service (Hire rate £162.5.0d/month).
1.9.1939: Sailed for London with RN crew. Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No. FY645).
1940: Based Grimsby with M/S Group 40 (Ch. Sk. A. Robb, RNR).
10.2.1940: Steam trawler THERESA BOYLE (GN4) (Sk. Oliver Bell) damaged by German air attack when fishing 115 miles ExN of Aberdeen. Took to boat and vessel foundered.
12 .2.1940: At 4.30 p.m. RAF aircraft overflew boat, rocket fired. Aircraft communicated with HM Trawlers BRABANT (GY544) (P.No.FY.586) and ALMANDINE (H415) (P.No.FY.645), ‘sweeping 10 miles away. After 50 hours in open boat picked up by ALMANDINE and landed at ?? at 6.00 p.m. all crew suffering from exposure.
1.1941: At Grimsby (Ty/ Sk. S. A. White RNR).
5.1.1943: Returning in company to the Humber in a storm with snow squalls, stranded on a sand bank. Spurn lifeboat attended and at great risk to herself took off nineteen crew and landed them on the beach. Refloated on flood, tug connected and after taking off three remaining crew, proceeded to Grimsby.
10.7.1945: Off Lizard Point, Cornwall picked up eleven survivors from HM Trawler KURD (H344/P.No.FY639) (Ty/Act Lt Cdr Roy Barratt RNR) which had been mined with loss of sixteen crew including CO*.
22.5.1946: Returned after refurbishment at Hull by Stewart & Graig Ltd.
22.5.1946: Sailed on trip to Faroe grounds.
30.9.1948: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager) for £27,500.
10.1959: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
10.1959: Remeasured 287g 126n.
16.2.1960: Reginald James Parry appointed manager.
17.2.1962: Sold to Hammond Lane Metal Co Ltd, Dublin (Donald James Flavin, manager).
2.3.1962: Sold to Mrs Daisy Pretoria Carter, Milford Haven (Alastair Adams, manager).
1962: Laid up at Milford.
10.6.1963: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
10.1963: Sold to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
7.12.1963: Arrived Troon Harbour (draughts 6’0”/15’3”).
16.12.1963: Breaking commenced.
30.1.1964: Beached (draughts 7’0”/8’9”).
17.3.1964: Rebeached.
16.4.1964: Breaking completed.
15.6.1964: Hull registry closed “Broken up”.

(MPK* – Ty/Act Lt Cdr Roy Barrett RNR; Ty/Sub Lieut. Ronald W. Wooden RNVR; Edwin Spooner, Ch.Engineman; Edward H. F. Ranson, Engineman; Cyril G. Lowe, PO; William Bassett, Ldg Seaman; Frederick W. H. Griffiths, Ldg Cook; Thomas A. Aitken, John G. Bond, Vincent Ware, Charles R, Wright, Seamen; Dennis R.H. Faulkner, Arthur G. Bunnett, Ord Seamen; Patrick J. McQuade, Telegraphist; Insull C. Guest, Stoker; Kenneth G. Bray, Stoker 2c)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Almandine H415

S.T. Almandine H415 Picture courtesy of Grimsby Reference Library

S.T. Almandine H415

S.T. Almandine H415
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Almandine H415

S.T. Almandine H415
Picture courtesy of The Phil Smith Collection

Changelog

20/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
14/04/2014: Picture added.
08/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
19/06/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Calydavia M110

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3679
Official Number: 143465
Yard Number: 359
Completed: 1918
As Built: 360disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 ft
Gross Tonnage: 277
Net Tonnage: 122
Length: 125.7
Breadth: 23.4
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Renfrew
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Renfrew

History

28.6.1918: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Renfrew (Yd.No.359) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as CHARLES DONELLY (Ad.No.3679).
12.7.1918: Completed (1-12pdr, Hydrophone and W/T).
4.5.1920: Sold by auction at Milford to David Pettit, Hakin for £8500.
25.5.1920: Registered at London (LO358).
10.7.1920: Registered at London as CALYDAVIA (LO358) (Ref BT minute 10871 dated 24/6/1920).
10.7.1920: London registry closed.
21.7.1920: Registered at Milford (M110).
1920: Transferred to D. Pettit Ltd, Milford Haven (David Pettit, Hakin, manager)
1934: Mrs Elizabeth A. H. Pettit appointed manager.
2.11.1934: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
4.2.1935: Sold to Liston Carnie, William Carnie Jnr and Thomas Young Carnie, Glasgow & Newhaven.
4.2.1936: Milford registry closed.
2.1936: Registered at Granton as PELAGOS (GN55).
1939: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
9.3.1940: Fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal in company with ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786) and SEDOCK (SN12) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. Group approached by U-boat (U.38) which fired a single round at a trawler, hitting her in the engineroom and she subsequently sank. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the trawler probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
Pre 4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection (WA/Fort William/Fleetwood).
30.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a patrol vessel (P.No.4.103) (Hire rate £83.2.0d/month).
3.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
1942: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
1945: Sold to Joseph Craig, Aberdeen.
8.1945: Returned to owner.
1945: Granton registry closed.
6.7.1945: Registered at Aberdeen (A589).
26.1.1953: Sold to Craig Stores (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen (64/64)
1953: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Malcolm Brechin, Granton for breaking up. 30.12.1953: Arrived Granton from Aberdeen under own power.
30.4.1954: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up.”

(Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomason (28), Fleetwood & Dublin; William Donnelly, Blackpool, Mate; P. J. Scanlon, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alexander McLeod, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan, Fleetwood & Dublin & Anthony Pill, Fleetwood & Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17), Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) Fleetwood & Dublin & Robert Sumler (16), Fleetwood & Dublin, apprentices)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Calydavia M110

S.T. Calydavia M110
Picture courtesy of The Peter Green Collection

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.
05/11/2015: Picture added.
10/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
25/10/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Agami GY143

Technical

Official Number: 110886
Yard Number: 229
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 186
Net Tonnage: 76
Length: 110.0 ft
Breadth: 21.2 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Selby

History

6.1899: Completed by Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.229) for Thomas Baskcomb, Grimsby as AGAMI.
3.6.1899: Completed.
5.6.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY143).
1.1911: Sold to The Marshall Line Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Alick (Alec) Black, manager).
1913: Fishing From Fleetwood.
6. 1914: Sold to The Savoy Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (H. Croft Baker, manager.
7. 11.1915: Sold to John L. Green, Grimsby (Fred Clark, manager).
8. 29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
9. 1919: Released.
10. 11.1924: Sold to Grimsby Trawler Owners’ Direct Fish Supply Co Ltd, Grimsby (T. W. Baskcomb, manager).
11. 9.1937: Sold for breaking up.
12. 23.9.1937: Grimsby registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Agami GY143

S.T. Agami GY143
Picture courtesy of The Steve Farrow Collection

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Deveron GY96

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 122708
Yard Number: 508
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 232.83
Net Tonnage: 102.16
Length: 123.6 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Built: Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Engine: 410ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull

History

17.10.1905: Launched by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.508) for The “D“ Line Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as DEVERON.
16.11.1905: Completed. Builder’s Certificate issued.
20.11.1905: Registered at Grimsby (GY96).
20.11.1905: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to George William Jeffs & Arthur Jeffs, Grimsby (joint mortgagees) for the sum of £3,000 with interest at 5% (A).
21.11.1905: Arthur Jeffs appointed manager.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.695). Based Moray Command.
2.7.1918: At Invergordon fitted 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
7.1920: New boiler fitted.
31.12.1927: Mortgage (A) discharged.
4.1.1928: Sold to Walter Garratt (16/64), Fred Birch Jeffs (16/64), Thomas Edwin Fisher (16/64) and Sidney Morris Fisher (16/64, all Grimsby).
11.1.1928: Walter Garratt designated managing owner.
27.1.1928: Four mortgages (16/64 x 4) to George William Jeffs & Arthur Jeffs, Grimsby (joint mortgagees) for the sum of £750 with interest at 5% (B, C, D, E).
15.12.1930: Fred Birch Jeffs designated managing owner.
20.4.1931: The estate of Walter Garratt (16/64) deceased adjudged bankrupt.
21.4.1931: Fred Birch Jeffs (16/64) adjudged bankrupt.
15.6.1931: Lawrence Fawley Judge appointed Trustee of the Joint and Separate estates (32/64).
30.9.1931: Sidney Morris Fisher shares (16/64) sold to Thomas Edwin Fisher (32/64).
26.11.1932: Lawrence Fawley Judge shares (32/64) sold to Thomas Edwin Fisher (64/64).
17.9.1932: Thomas Edwin Fisher designated managing owner.
20.3.1935: Sold by Joint Mortgagees under mortgages (B, C, D, E) to Charles Dobson (64/64), Grimsby.
3.4.1935: Charles Dobson designated managing owner.
29.9.1937: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (F).
21.1.1938: In thick fog in the North Sea in collision with Danish Esbjerg registered liner PONTUS. Struck port bow, shell plates set in and sprung.
22.1.1938: Arrived Lowestoft escorted by WOLSELEY (LT410). Slipped and repaired.
7.1.1941: Mortgage (F) discharged.
3.2.1941: Sold to Perihelion Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
3.2.1941: Herbert George Crampin appointed manager.
4.1944 – 1.1945: Fishing from Fleetwood.
10.3.1945: Sold to Deveron Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby.
2.4.1945: Albert Wright Butt appointed manager.
17.4.1945: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (G).
4.1.1949: In gale force winds and driving sleet, stranded at Kilnsea in Spurn Bight. First trip for Sk. G. J. Homer. Neaped and remained ashore for twelve days until refloated with the aid of United Towing’s steam tug BRAHAM (230grt/1938 850ihp) and returned to Grimsby.
1953: Assisted in righting the Hull steamer HEBBLE (1078grt/1924) at Immingham which had capsized when the graving dock in which she was being refitted was flooded on 31.1.1953 in the ‘Great Storm’. Filled with ballast in an adjacent lock pit to act as anchor while steam locomotives attached by steel cables pulled the HEBBLE upright as the dock was slowly flooded.
23.2.1953: Mortgage (G) discharged.
10.1954: Sold for breaking up.
12.10.1954: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel broken up”.
Click to enlarge images

S.T. Deveron GY96

S.T. Deveron GY96
Picture courtesy of The Steve Farrow Collection

S.T. Deveron GY96

S.T. Deveron GY96
Picture courtesy of The Jeffrey Pullen Collection

S.T. Deveron GY96

S.T. Deveron GY96
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Deveron GY96

S.T. Deveron GY96
Picture reproduced by permission of The Grimsby Telegraph

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
25/07/2014: Picture 1 added.
09/10/2014: Information updated.
10/10/2014: Spelling errors corrected.
11/11/2015: Added stranding information.
14/11/2015: Replaced picture.
19/11/2015: Added picture and updated information.
10/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
29/03/2018: Added an image.
09/04/2020: Updated information.

S.T. Craig Island LH141

Technical

Official Number: 161838
Yard Number: 268
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 243
Net Tonnage: 90
Length: 120.2 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 12.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

10.2.1913: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.268) for Alfred T. Golder & Co, Ostend as MARTHE.
16.4.1913: Completed. Registered at Ostend (O43).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve (with owners permission).
21.9.1917: At Swansea. Completed fitting of 6pdr gun.
1919: Released.
1929: Sold to Pêcheries Nationales Belges S. A., Ostend.
4.1933: Sold to Thomas H. Scales, Leith (managing owner).
13.4.1933: On delivery voyage Ostend to Aberdeen (sic) arrived Lowestoft with boiler trouble.
15.4.1933: Completed boiler repairs and sailed for Leith.
5.1933: Ostend registry closed.
8.5.1933: Registered at Leith as CRAIG ISLAND (LH141).
1935: Company re-styled, T. H. Scales & Sons Ltd, Newhaven, Edinburgh.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z157) (Rosyth/Granton & Inchkeith) as an ‘Inchkeith gate trawler’ (Hire rate £62.15.6d/month).
31.9.1942: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £7250.
16.11.1945: Laid up.
23.2.1946: Returned.
8.3.1946: Sold to J. Cameron, Peterhead for breaking up.
6.5.1946: Breaking up commenced.

Click to enlarge image

HMT Craig Island

HMT Craig Island
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
03/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.