Tag Archives: War Loss

S.T. Ladylove LO167

Technical

Official Number: 116137
Yard Number: 341
Completed: 1902
Gross Tonnage: 230
Net Tonnage: 84
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 21.7 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: 70nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull

History

14.2.1902: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.341) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as OPHIR.
21.3.1903: Registered at Hull (H725).
6.4.1903: Completed (H. A. L. Russell, manager).
1.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr HA & 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1204).
2.1915: Renamed OPHIR III.
17.4.1915: Registered at Hull as OPHIR III (H725).
4.10.1918: Sold to Weston W. Crampin, Grimsby (managing owner).
21.10.1918: Hull registry closed.
24.10.1918: Registered at Grimsby (GY1220). Based Harwich.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
2.1919: Sold to The Crampin Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Herbert G. Crampin, manager).
2.1933: Sold to Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Thomas Walker, manager).
1.2.1933: Grimsby registry closed.
9.2.1933: Registered at Aberdeen as STAR OF MORAY (A232).
1934: Sold to The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood.
4.8.1934: Aberdeen registry closed.
9.8.1934: Registered at London (LO167).
29.9.1934: Registered at London as LADYLOVE (LO167).
7.1940: Requisitioned for war service and designated for minesweeping duties (P.No.FY.335).
10.1940: Returned to owner (Not recorded in Admiralty Folio MT65-467 A-L).
2.8.1941: Sailed Fleetwood for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Alfred C. Fletcher); thirteen crew.
24.8.1941: In evening after being involved in search, directed by aircraft, picked up three men in boat from Norwegian steamer INGER (1418grt/1930) (torpedoed at 2347 on 23.8.1941 by U-boat (U143) 30 miles from Butt of Lewis). Landed survivors at Stornoway.
25.8.1941: Sailed Stornoway.
27.8.1941: At 1435 U-boat (U.202) hit a trawler with a torpedo the vessel foundered in 15 seconds. Although no vessel identified, this must have been the LADYLOVE; crew of fourteen lost*.
30.8.1941: Posted missing (Official date of death of crew members – 7.9.1941).
23.3.1942: London registry closed.

ANNEX A

1.1915: Fitted with WT and Hotchkiss 12pdr, 6pdr HA and Bomb Thrower as an armed trawler (Ad.No.1204).
17.4.1915: Renamed Ophir III.(Ad.No.1204) and re-registered at Hull (H725).
By 1.10.1918: At Penzance (General Patrol and Escort work) (Lieut. RNR).

(Lost* – All Fleetwood unless stated. Sk. Alfred Crozier Fletcher (60), Analby; Thomas Brunt (44), Mate; John Dawson (44), Ch Eng; Walter Birkett (45), 2nd Eng; William Sharples (37), Bosun; Albert Chance (38), Hessle, John Thomas Mooney (33), Hull, Wilfred Thomas Liles (43), John Thomas Rossall (32), Blackpool, Thomas James Temple (38), Lowestoft & J. Millner (?), Deckhands; Stanley Smith (19) & Frederick Moss (42), Firemen; Norman Platt (45), Cook)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Ladylove LO167

S.T. Ladylove LO167
Picture courtesy of Pauline Taylor

Changelog
27/01/2009: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
25/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from image.

S.T. Jay (1) FD178

Technical

Official Number: 108534
Yard Number: 556
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 144
Net Tonnage: 44
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 300IHP T.3-cyl and boiler by N. E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields

History

15.7.1897: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.556) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester as JAY.
13.10.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD178).
10.1897: Completed
13.10.1897: John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood appointed managers.
24.3.1899: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Hull.
13.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H278).
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
15.7.1913: Hull registry closed and vessel registered anew in consequence of material alterations (H278).
15.7.1913: Re-measured after lengthening to 119.0 ft 166g 64n.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.375).
11.8.1917: Returning to Gt. Yarmouth, torpedoed by U-boat (UB35) 500yds NE of “C” Buoy in position 55°19N/1°49E; nine crew lost*, three (two?)crew and dog saved+.
27.12.1917: Hull registry closed “Total loss”.

(Lost* – Sk. Edward N. Bullock (40); John C. Hack (35), Mate; Harry E. Pratt (38), Eng; Bryan Williams(18), Henry S. Parfitt (35), Dick G. Pestel (22) & Frederick Shreeve, deckhands; Adam Clark (19) & John MacLean, trimmers)

(Saved+ – James Keysor & Hugh Rogers)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Jay FD178

S.T. Jay FD178 Picture from Internet

Changelog
27/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
13/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Wellvale FD140

Additional information courtesy of Tony Rodaway

Technical

Official Number: 148227
Yard Number: ??
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 271
Net Tonnage: 124
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.5
Depth: 12.7
Built: Canadian Vickers Ltd, Montreal, Canada
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Canadian Vickers Ltd, Montreal, Canada

History

1.1917: Ordered.
1918: Launched by Canadian Vickers Ltd, Montreal, Canada (Yd.No.) (Canadian “Castle” – “T.R.” class) for The Admiralty (paid for and built under direction of RCN) as TR.28.
30.5.1918: Completed (1-12pdr) and commissioned in Royal Canadian Navy.
31.1.1919: Paid off and laid up.
1920: Accepted offer of Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd, Inverness (Captain D. J. Munro as agent) to bring drifters with trawlers as escorts to UK for lay-up in Muirtown Basin, Caledonian Canal, Inverness prior to sale and possible refit for classification as steam trawlers (The Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd letter dated 12 April 1920).
1921: Brought over at The Admiralty’s expense for lay-up.
1.1926: Still laid up.
2.1926: Rejected offer for all remaining trawlers of £2,000 each (B. Allenby, Aberdeen letter dated 10 Feb 1926).
8.1926: Sold “as is” to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby (Fred. Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
22.9.1926: Registered at Fleetwood as WELLVALE (FD140).
20.5.1927: Sold to Arthur S. Bowlby, Harlow (Edward D. W. Lawford c/o Iago Steam Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven, manager). Continued to fish from Fleetwood.
1932: Laid up at Fleetwood.
8.11.1932: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
5/6/7.1933: Chartered for by Italian Government to provide support for a trans Atlantic flight involving 20 to 30 aeroplanes.
6.4.1935: Arrived Fleetwood on evening tide in tow of AUTHORPE (FD91) having sustained crank shaft damage on the fishing grounds.
12.9.1939: Missing since this date. “Presumed sunk by enemy action”.
16.9.1939: Believed lost off the Hebrides by U-boat action, but not recorded (U.35 was in the area); Sk. F. W. Slapp and twelve crew lost.
17.1.1940: Fleetwood registry closed “Missing since 12/9/1939. Sunk by enemy action”.

(Lost – Sk. F. W. Slapp, R. Barcock, J. W. Eastham, M. J. Gordon, T. W. Grayson, George Grimley (31), 2nd Eng. b. Co.Armagh, R. R. Gunn, H. Parker, P. Speariett, G. R. Townsend, I. P. Turner, W. Wright)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Wellvale FD140

S.T. Wellvale FD140
Picture © John Clarkson

Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published.
27/04/14: Information updated.
29/03/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Sea Sweeper FD171

Technical

Official Number: 139276
Yard Number: 321
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 329
Net Tonnage: 138
Length: 136 ft
Breadth: 24 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 100nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed: 11 knots

History

31.5.1915: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.321) for Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as SEA SWEEPER.
27.11.1915: Registered at Hull (H409).
9.12.1915: Completed. Richard Henry Hobbs designated manager.
1.1916: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, Hydrophone) (Ad.No.1979). Based Harwich.
12.4.1917: Arrived Falmouth.
17.12.1917: Sailed Falmouth for Portland.
1918: Aegean Sea.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
3.11.1919: Sold to Fresh Fish Supplies Ltd, Hull. Thomas Nightingale designated manager.
8.2.1922: Sold to Thomas Hamling & Co Ltd, Hull along with SEA MONARCH (H411) for £11,500 each. Harold Hall designated manager.
6.1.1926: Thomas Boyd designated manager.
4.5.1928: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood along with SEA MONARCH (H411) for £7,000 each.
10.5.1928: Hull registry closed.
1.6.1928: Mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London.
11.6.1928: Registered at Fleetwood (FD171). Joseph Arthur Marr Jnr designated manager.
18.6.1928: First landing at Fleetwood 280 boxes, mainly hake.
11.1939: On a trip to Donegal/Tory Island ground (Sk. A. Tomlinson); eleven crew all told.
20.11.1939: Trawling 25 miles NW by W of Tory Island, Co. Donegal at 5.05 pm. stopped by U-boat (U.33) crew abandoned to boat and subsequently sunk by gunfire; crew picked up by steam trawler LOIS (FD424).
28.11.1939: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by enemy action”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Sea Sweeper FD171

S.T. Sea Sweeper FD171
Picture courtesy of The John Baird Collection

Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
01/08/2021: Updated information.

S.T. Sarah Alice FD140

Technical

Official Number: 132408
Yard Number: 472
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 299
Net Tonnage: 121
Length: 130.5 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

11.5.1911: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.472) for The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (Ernest Tomlinson, manager) as SARAH ALICE.
27.6.1911: Registered at Fleetwood (FD140).
6.1911: Completed.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.329).
4.1915: Operating from Kirkwall under O&S Northern Patrol command as a Patrol Vessel covering Ronaldsay/Fair Isle to Sumburgh Head routes.
26.9.1916: North of Fair Isle, in approx position 59.44N 1.35W in company with HMY CONQUEROR II (Ad.No. 051) investigating a British steamer with no number up, afterwards identified as Admiralty store carrier St. GOTHARD (2788grt/1903). At 5.20 pm. attacked by enemy submarine (U.52). Three torpedoes fired, struck by first one; no survivors and third sank CONQUEROR.
27.9.1916: At 4.00 am. seventeen officers and men from CONQUEROR II picked up from carley floats by HM Destroyer SYLVIA.
14.10.1916: Fleetwood registry closed “Lost on Admiralty service”.

(Lost – (C.O.) Act Lieut Hugh McV Lovett RNR; Rennals E .Widdicombe & Ernest J. Brooks, 2nd hands; Richard J. Reynolds, P.O.; William Griffin & John F. Moore, Enginemen; Frederick N. Cadby, seaman; Thomas McL Fraser, telegraphist; Alfred Hearn, William A. Macleod, William W. Muir, William G. Manslow & David Scott, deckhands; James Cass & Joseph Collinson, trimmers)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Sarah Alice FD140

S.T. Sarah Alice FD140

S.T. Sarah Alice FD140

S.T. Sarah Alice FD140
Picture from Internet

Loss Report

Loss Report

Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
03/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.