Tag Archives: War Loss

S.T. Kennymore GY38

Technical

Official Number: 136000
Yard Number: 261b
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 225
Net Tonnage: 112
Length: 117 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

14.1.1914: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.261B) for The Pelham Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as KENNYMORE.
6.3.1914: Registered at Grimsby (GY38).
3.1914: Completed (Alick (Alec) Black, manager). Fishing from Fleetwood.
21.3.1914: Mortgaged to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
13.4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” bomb thrower) (Ad.No.1373).
9.10.1915: Mortgage (A) discharged.
11.10.1915: Sold to Thomas W. Baskcomb, Grimsby (managing owner).
12.10.1915: Mortgaged to Barclay & Co Ltd, London (B). Based Killybegs, Co. Donegal.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby after refurbishment and survey at Glasgow.
22.10.1935: After default of mortgage (B) re-possessed by Barclay & Co Ltd, London.
22.10.1935: Fleet of Thomas W. Baskcomb sold to Fred Parkes, Fleetwood.
24.10.1935: Sold to Dobson Ship Repairing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Charles Dobson, manager).
14.11.1935: Mortgaged to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (C).
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.857) (Hire rate £60.0.0d/month).
25.11.1940: Mined off Thames estuary (Temp Sk. J. W. Greene RNR); three crew missing presumed killed.
18.3.1941: Grimsby registry closed.

(MPK – James Reid, Engineman; James E. Barnard, seaman; Harold Emmett, stoker 2class.)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Kennymore GY38

S.T. Kennymore GY38
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

Changelog

22/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
12/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Gozo H545

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 113639
Yard Number: 308
Completed: 1902
Gross Tonnage: 172.42
Net Tonnage: 64.29
Length: 108.4 ft
Breadth: 21.3 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: 240ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull

History

27.2.1902: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.308) for The Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as GOZO.
18.4.1902: Registered at Hull (H545).
18.4.1902: Henry Toozes appointed manager
19.4.1902: Completed.
2.10.1905: In heavy weather in North Sea, Henry Boys, Bosun, was drowned.
30.10.1905: Joseph Vivian appointed manager.
13.3.1913: Sk. Charles Deyes received a letter of thanks from the German Ambassador for attempting to rescue the crew of the German barque Hermann in a severe gale in the North Sea. Boat overturned but a boat from steam trawler POONAH (H737) rescued the crew before the vessel foundered.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 67.94net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.644). Based Portland.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
13.5.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County, Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
11.11.1920: Outward for North Sea grounds on afternoon tide, fell in with a small boat at mouth of Humber which had onboard the crew of a Yarmouth herring drifter which had foundered; took onboard.
12.11.1920: Returned to Hull to land survivors.
16.1.1922: In blizzard conditions off the Humber driven onto Haile Sands. Spurn lifeboat in attendance and anchors run out. Subsequently refloated and proceeded.
10.3.1923: Mortgagee restyled Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton appointed manager.
19.11.1930: Mortgage (A) discharged.
19.11.1920: Sold to Colin Henry Brand (64/64), Milford Haven.
24.11.1930: Colin Henry Brand designated managing owner.
27.12.1930: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) To Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
30.12.1935: In heavy weather off the Smalls (Sk. Chris Masterton Jnr). At about 3.00 pm. went to assistance of steam drifter FEASIBLE (LT122) which had been battling to keep afloat for thirteen hours with wheelhouse, compass and lifeboat washed away, flooded below deck. and having lost deckhand Edward Halliday (27) of Lowestoft washed overboard. With difficulty connected and after a rough passage delivered Milford.
14.12.1937: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Robert Parcell Lewis, Fishguard for the sum of £312 with interest at 4.5% (C).
4.1938: With ALONSO (H887) converted for Spanish pareja trawling method.
4.1938: Newspaper clipping: “J. F. Gwyther has been favoured with instructions to offer for sale at the Conservative Club, on Friday 15th September, the steam trawlers ALONSO, CAIRO and GOZO. These ships are of the ex-fleeter type, strongly built, and the class suitable for pareja (pair fishing, Spanish style).”
3.8.1938: Mortgage (B) discharged.
3.12.1938: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Ruth Brand, Johnston and Lilian Gertrude Brand, Burton (joint mortgagees) for the sum of £667 with interest at 5% (D).
13.3.1939: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Albert Charles Hooper and Edward Reuben Cyprian Hooper, Cardiff (joint mortgagees) (E).
30.6.1939: Last landing at Milford. Laid up.
7.7.1939: Colin H. Brand filed for bankruptcy.
7.10.1939: Mortgages (D) & (E) discharged.
12.10.1939: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (C) to Fred Parkes and Charles Lucas Wilbraham (64/64 joint owners) both Blackpool.
30.10-.1939: Fred Parkes designated managing owner.
8.11.1939: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
18.11.1939: Basil Arthur Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde appointed manager.
1940: Fitted with Lewis gun.
12.3.1941: Sold to The Yolland Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven.
15.4.1941: John Charles Llewellin appointed manager.
9.4.1941: Sailed Milford for Irish grounds (Sk. E. G. Paul); ten crew all told, in company with steam trawler FORT RONA (M56).
19.4.1941: Fishing in company with FORT RONA NWbyN from Bull Rock and SEbyE from Fastnets in calm seas, good visibility and NE wind force 2. Steering a northeasterly course and making good about 11 knots, sighted two aircraft approaching from the south at about 40ft about the surface at a distance of 3 to 5 miles. Crews of both ships ordered to take cover and Bosun manned the Lewis gun but withheld fire when it was thought that smaller aircraft, painted green aft, was Irish; larger aircraft identified as a Fokker Condor. Both aircraft circled the two ships and when to windward started to emit a a thick dirty yellow vapour which swept by the breeze engulfed the two trawlers. Crew told to hold their breath as the ship altered course to clear the cloud but several affected in eyes and mouth. The two aircraft pulled away and the Condor released five bombs which landed close but three failed to explode, while a torpedo was also released passing under the ship. The FORT RONA was also bombed but these exploded on her starboard side without damage. The aircraft then departed. Stowed gear and with about 50 kits of fish left for home arriving Milford before midnight. FORT RONA put into Berehaven, Co. Cork.
16.5.1941: John Charles Llewellin, Hakin appointed manager.
17.2.1945: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven.
12 3.1945: Owen Willie Limbrick appointed manager.
16.7.1945: Last landing at Milford.
24.7.1945: On South West Irish grounds (Sk. W. Corney). Lost after striking a mine 25 miles S by SW of Old Head of Kinsale; all crew picked up by Milford trawler PHOEBE (H881) and landed at Kinsale, Co. Cork.
27.7.1945: Crew returned to Milford.
27.11.1945: Milford registry closed. “Ship sunk on 24th July 1945 as a result of an explosion Ministry of Transport reference M15111/1945.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Gozo H545

S.T. Gozo H545
Picture courtesy of The Alan Hirst Collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
05/08/2016: Significant information update.
22/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
14/12/2020: Updated history.

S.T. Davara FD152

Note: First British trawler lost in WWII

Technical

Official Number: 132409
Yard Number: 517
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 291
Net Tonnage: 116
Length: 130.0 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.5 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

6.1.1912: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.517) for The Mount Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as DAVARA.
6.3.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD152).
14.3.1912: Completed (George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.523). Based Larne.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
8.6.1930: In Wyre Channel, one of 23 trawlers inbound, when a few hundred yards from lock pit found channel blocked by trawlers NELLIE BRADDOCK (FD175) and ERNA (FD158) aground on Tiger’s Tail. Swept by tide and also took the ground. Refloated on next tide and entered Wyre Dock.
193?: W. M. Kelly appointed manager.
12.9.1939: Sailed Fleetwood for fishing grounds (Sk. William Boyles).
13.9.1939: When in a position 21 miles NWby N of Tory Island, Co. Donegal, U-boat (U.27) closed and opened fire (at least 35 rounds); twelve crew escaped in damaged boat. Trawler sunk at 2.55 p.m. by gunfire and after five hours in boat constantly baling, crew picked up by the West Hartlepool steamer WILLOWPOOL (4815grt/1925) and landed safely.
19.9.1939: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by enemy submarine”.

(Crew (all Fleetwood unless stated) – Sk. William Boyles; G. T. Pugh, Mate; W. Spall, Bosun; A Scott, Ch Eng, Thornton; J. Higgins, 2nd Eng, Burn Naze; E. Prentice, D. G. Gall, C. S. Hunter & H. R. Wright, deckhands; R. O. Welch & J. Gregger, firemen; C. W. Sharpe, cook).

Note: In August 1939 with the prospect of conflict in the offing, several trawler owners on both the East and West Coast recalled their vessels and delayed the sailing of others. Once War was declared, however, and with markets suffering from a lack of supplies, many trawlers returned to sea thinking that on the West Coast at least, the War might be slow to get under way. They were not to know that many German U-boats were already moving into positions to the West of Ireland and outboard of the Western Isles – both areas favoured fishing grounds of the Fleetwood trawling fleet. On Tuesday 12 September 1939, the Mount Steam Fishing Co’s DAVARA (FD152) commanded by Skipper William Boyles and a crew of eleven, sailed from Fleetwood for the West of Scotland grounds. In the early afternoon of Wednesday 13 September she was in a position some 21 miles NNW of Tory Island, County Donegal when she was closed by the U-boat, U.27 which with the deck gun manned, commenced shelling the DAVARA. Despite damage Skipper Boyles managed to get the boat into the water and with all the crew onboard the trawler was abandoned. The shelling continued for about half an hour and thirty five rounds were counted, the DAVARA sinking at 14.55. The crew were in the boat for five hours constantly baling and rowing and were exhausted when picked up by by the West Hartlepool steamer WILLOWPOOL (4815grt/1925) and landed safely.

Click to enlarge picture

S.T. Davara FD152

S.T. Davara FD152
Picture courtesy of RossallBeach.com

S.T. Davara FD152

S.T. Davara FD152
Inboard of Meuse

Changelog
21/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
30/05/2016: Information updated.
01/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Caldew FD347

Additional information courtesy of The Hull Trawler Website, Geoff Davidson and Patrick Conaghan.

Technical

Official Number: 128769
Yard Number: 1580
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 257
Net Tonnage: 115
Length: 129.7 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7
Engine: 97hp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough.
Boiler: Blair & Co Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

5.10.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.580) for James Thomas, Milford Haven (managing owner) as MARISTO.
11.1914: Completed.
6.11.1914: Registered at Milford (M14).
9.6.1915: Landed 200 kits of hake for record £954.
12.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1978).
1917: Based at Portland. In company with HMTrawler CALIPH (Ad.No.133)(M197) attacked a German submarine and claimed an unconfirmed kill.
16.10.1917: Sold to The “Wyre” Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Magnus B. J. Wedum, manager).
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
10.9.1919: Milford registry closed.
11.9.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD347).
30.9.1921: Registered at Fleetwood as CALDEW (FD347).
14.2.1931: In gale force winds and driving snow, at 3.00am. responded to distress call to Malin Head Radio by Finnish steamer MALVE (1488grt/1917) (Capt Boxberg) stranded on Tiree whilst on passage Tallin to Manchester with wood pulp and timber. With steam trawlers DHOON (FD54) and RIVER CLYDE (FD418) stood by to render assistance. Vessel refloated on flood after pumping out ballast and moving 40 tons of cargo from No.3 to No.4 hold, and went to anchor in Balephetrish Bay, Tiree. Wind freshened and started to drag, with insufficient steam, drove ashore among rocks, held fast and making water. Crew abandoned and landed on Tiree. Vessel was a total loss.
12.11.1931: At Fleetwood, Sk. James Crewdson was fined 20s by Magistrates for excessive use of the steam whistle in the Wyre Channel to the annoyance of the public.
16.3.1935: Fishing the St. Kilda grounds (Sk. Edward Harris). At 10.30am. when hauling SW of the islands and with the radio operator, Christopher Cramer (23)) on the winch, when he had completed his task he disappeared over the side. The crew dashed to the rail and as he came up for the second time a deckhand grabbed Cramer’s foot and hauled him safely onboard.
25.3.1935: Sailed Fleetwood for St. Kilda and Butt of Lewis grounds (Sk. Edward Harris); twelve crew.
6.4.1935: While trawling on grounds south of Gigha, at about 7.55 a.m. in collision with the OSPRAY II (FD129) (Sk. Robert Kelly) which suffered damage aft of wheelhouse on starboard side and shell plating holed in the bunker. Despite efforts to save her and attempt to beach, vessel filled rapidly and crew abandoned and lay to until vessel sank at about 8.35 am. Picked up by the CALDEW and returned to Fleetwood.
7.12.1935: BOT Formal Investigation (S.375) found Sk. Edward Harris and Sk. Robert Kelly both in default and suspended Sk. Harris’s ticket ticket for twelve months.
30.9.1937: Arrived Fleetwood with steam trawler LOWTHER (FD347) (Sk.T. Barcock) in tow having picked her up off the Flannan Islands, disabled with broken tail shaft. The trip of 400 miles was accomplished in 60 hours in moderate weather.
31.1.1938: On arrival at Fleetwood, Sk. John Wilson reported that he had heard Sk. Anderson of the steam trawler BOSTONIAN (FD41) calling the Boston control ship TEKOURA (FD12) on Friday 21st at 5-30pm. while he was off Eagle Island. BOSTONIAN was lost south of Barra in severe weather conditions; no survivors.
6.3.1938: On the grounds off the Donegal coast (Sk. William Wright). Trawl warp parted whipping across the deck and encircling two men. Realising that they were both severely injured Sk. Wright called Killybegs Radio Station and arranged for an ambulance to meet the ship. Made best speed for Killybegs, Co. Donegal.
7.3.1938: On arrival, driven across the county and deckhands Emmanuel Clarke (44) and William Carter admitted to hospital in Donegal. Clarke did not respond to treatment and died that night as a result of his injuries.
1938: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
22.2.1939: Off Mull of Galloway, stood by submarine L.21 which had broken away from tug in gale force winds while on passage from Portsmouth to Messers W. H. Arnott, Young’s yard at Dalmuir, for breaking. Unsuccessfully tried to connect, abandoned and proceeded. L.21 was subsequently recovered by the Glasgow tug CHIEFTAIN (196grt/1930 860ihp) and delivered Dalmuir.
16.9.1939: Sailed Fleetwood for Faroe Island grounds (Sk. Thomas Joseph Kane); twelve crew.
21.9.1939: At Faroe landed fireman D. Morris, Blackpool due to illness; transferred to hospital at Tveraa.
24.9.1939: Whilst fishing off the Faroe Islands stopped by U-boat (U.33), sunk by gunfire in position 60.47N 06.20W after crew ordered into boat. Crew picked up by Swedish steamer KRONPRINSESSAN MARGAETA (3765grt/1914).
27.9.1939: Steamer stopped by German destroyer FRIEDRICH IHN crew removed and interned in Germany. Five years and seven months first in Sandbostel and later Milag 8.
18.10.1939: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by enemy submarine”.

(Released 1945: Albert Cook, Mate; Thomas Payne, Chief Engineer; Charles Ellis, Bosun; deckhands, Harold Ashwell, George Triffett and Alec Mulholland; fireman, Hector Pearson. Skipper Thomas Kane; Fredrick Rowe, 2nd Engineer and deckhand George Brooks had been exchanged for German prisoners in Lisbon in June 1943. Cook, John Shutterlin had been repatriated via Gibraltar in January 1945. Source IWM BU4665)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Caldew FD347

S.T. Caldew FD347

S.T. Caldew FD347

S.T. Caldew FD347
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Caldew FD347

S.T. Caldew FD347
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

The crew of Caldew in the POW camp

The crew of Caldew in the POW camp

Changelog
21/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
12/12/2015: Added information.
15/06/2016: Updated information.

S.T. Moulmein H61

S.T. Moulmein FD132

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 104239
Yard Number: 503
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 151
Net Tonnage: 40
Length: 100.6 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 320ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields

History

25.5.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.503) for George Beeching, Fleetwood (managing owner) as MOULMEIN.
6.1895: Completed.
26.6.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD132).
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H61).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
22.10.1904: The Dogger Bank Incident. Shelled and damaged by Russian Navy Baltic Fleet while fishing on the Dogger Bank. Russians on passage to the Pacific in the darkness opened fire on the trawlers (approx 45 vessels) under the impression that they were about to be attacked.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
21.5.1913: Sold to George Clarkson, Fleetwood.
23.5.1913: George Clarkson appointed managing owner.
23.5.1913: Mortgaged to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood (A).
7.7.1913: Hull registry closed.
8.7.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD187).
6.8.1913: Sold to The Devon Steam Trawling Co, Fleetwood (George Clarkson, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 59.04 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
18.11.1916: Sold to Henry Carl Smethurst (64/64), Grimsby. Henry Carl Smethurst designated managing owner.
13.12.1916: Fleetwood registry closed.
18.12.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY1007).
23.12.1916: Sold to Henry Carl Smethurst, John Wintringham Smethurst & William Winteringham Smethurst, all Grimsby (64/64 joint owners). John Wintringham Smethurst designated managing owner.
28.3.1917: Stopped by U-boat (UC77) with a shot across the bows whilst fishing 25 miles NE of Longstone Light and scuttled by opening seacocks and scuttles. Vessel position 56.00N 1.13W.
14.5.1917: Grimsby registry closed “Sunk by German submarine”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Moulmein H61

S.T. Moulmein H61
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Moulmein H61

S.T. Moulmein H61
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Moulmein FD132

S.T. Moulmein FD132
Picture from the Internet

Russians open fire

Russians open fire
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Mino H799

S.T. Mino H799
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

Changelog
19/01/2009: Page published. 9 updates since then.
18/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.