Tag Archives: War Loss

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24

Technical

Official Number: 162068
Yard Number: 964
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 433
Net Tonnage: 162
Length: 157.2 ft
Breadth: 26.4 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

15.1.1934: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.964) for Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood as PHYLLIS ROSALIE.
31.1.1934: Registered at Fleetwood (FD24).
2.1934: Completed (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
1934: Port’s best single trip, 1,611 boxes.
15.7.1935: Represented Fleetwood at the King George V Silver Jubilee Review at Spithead. Her Skipper, Walter Holmes DSC was presented to H.M. King George.
1935: Port’s best single trip, 1769 boxes.
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
11.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty.
21.11.1935: Fleetwood registry closed. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler. Renamed HMTrawler AMETHYST (P.No.T12).
24.11.1940: Mined in Barrow Deep, Thames estuary. All crew landed safely at Southend (Ty/Lieut the Hon W. K. Rous RNVR).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24

HMT Amethyst

HMT Amethyst
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
14/04/2014: Picture added.
02/12/2014: Picture added.

S.T. King Erik GY474

Trawler/Liner

Additional information courtesy of David Lewis, Birgir Þórisson and Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 110879
Yard Number: 233
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 227
Net Tonnage: 90
Length: 114 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: 420ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Selby

History

29.3.1899: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.233) as a liner for Viking Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as KING ERIK.
28.4.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY10). John E. Rushworth designated manager.
28.4.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Arthur Henry Leslie Melville & Eustace Abel Smith, Lincoln (joint mortgagees) (A).
29.4.1899: Completed.
9.1899: Converted to side fishing.
30.9.1899: Mortgage (A) discharged.
30.9.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd (B).
29/30.1.1901: In North Sea with steam trawler DERBY (GY153), came upon German steamer MARTHA SAUBER (1463grt/1888), running short of coals whilst towing German steamer ETHEL (1036grt/), disabled with broken tailshaft on a voyage from Hamburg to Tyne. Cast off tow and both trawlers connected to ETHEL in position 54.5N 1.37E; towage to the Tyne was resumed at about 11.00am.
31.1.1901: Delivered Tyne at 11.30am.
19.4.1901: The Admiralty Division Court awarded each trawler £250 (Owners-£175; skipper-£25; mate-£15; engineer-£12 and crew £1 each).
6.11.1902: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (B) to Frank Barrett (64/64), Grimsby.
8.11.1902: Frank Barrett designated manager.
6.11.1902: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Stamford, Spalding and Boston Banking Co Ltd, Gt. Grimsby (C).
3.8.1904: Mortgage (C) discharged.
16.9.1904: Sold to Ole Gogstad, Sandefjord, Norway registered owner Aktieselsk “KING ERIK”.
29.9.1904: Grimsby registry closed.
10.1904: Registered at Sandefjord (SD33).
31.1.1907: At the Sheriff Court at Elgin, Sk. Hans Christian Andersen was found guilty of trawling within forbidden limits in the Moray Firth and fined £100 or sixty days imprisonment. Fine not paid and imprisoned at Inverness. Released following representation by the Norwegian Government.
1911: Sold to Gustav Emil Forum, Esbjerg. Sandefjord registry closed. Registered at Esbjerg (E169).
10.1911: New boiler by Palmer’s Shipbuilding & Iron Co, Hebburn-on-Tyne.
25.5.1914: Out of Grimsby for Moray Firth fishing grounds, blowing strong SW near gale. At 8.00 am when off Spurn Light, condenser burst. Set course for Grimsby but when off the Bull had to anchor to attend to ingress of water from condenser sea cock and pipework. Ingress not arrested and proceeded Clee Ness, beached and sea cock temporarily sealed, engine room pumped out. At about 2.00 pm summoned tugs, refloated and brought into Grimsby for repair.
1915: Sold to Frank Barrett (64/64), Grimsby.
3.1915: Sandefjord registry closed.
1915: Re measured 228g 90n.
31.3.1915: Registered at Grimsby (GY474).
31.3.1915: Frank Barrett designated manager.
11.4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.1368). Based Egypt.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
1.1.1920: Sold to William Frank Gower (64/64), Grimsby.
12.4.1920: William Frank Gower designated managing owner.
1.4.1920: Sold to Direct Fish Supplies Ltd (64/64) London.
19.4.1920: George William Payne Margarson, Grimsby designated manager.
23.3.1922: Company in voluntary liquidation.
10.8.1922: Placed in compulsory liquidation.
9.10.1922: Sold by the liquidator George Digby Pepys, to Thomas William Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby.
8.12.1922: Thomas William Baskcomb designated manager.
27.7.1923: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Grimsby Trawler Owners Direct Supply Co Ltd, Grimsby (D).
20.6.1924: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harry Allen Baskcomb, Grimsby.
31.3.1925: Mortgage (D) discharged.
1.4.1925: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Harry Allen Baskcomb, Grimsby (E).
1.4.1925: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Grimsby Trawler Owners Direct Supply Co Ltd, Grimsby (F).
1929: New boiler.
13.11.1937: Mortgage (F) discharged.
24.4.1940: Mortgage (E) discharged.
2.5.1940: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
9.5.1940: Basil A. Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager.
3.9.1941: Sailed Fleetwood for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Francis H. Davidson); fifteen crew all told.
5.9.1941: Sailed Tobermory for Iceland after repair.
6.9.1941: When some 120 miles WSW of Faroe Islands, at 2330 torpedoed by U-boat (U.141) without warning, ship hit and exploded; all crew lost*.
27.10.1941: Loss reported to families.
7.5.1942: Grimsby registry closed “Ship missing since 5/9/41, presumed lost”.

*Lost – Sk. Francis Henry Davidson (40), Cleethorpes; John Bradford Brewer (32), 2nd Hand; Frederick Durbin (38), 3rd Hand, Hull; George Aisthorpe (56). Ch Eng; William Arthur Watson (37) 2nd Eng, Fleetwood; Eddie Christopher Bowles (54), John James Grundy (20), Fleetwood, Walter Austin Helme (18), Fleetwood, Arthur Leach (44), Hull, Thomas Wall (28), George Wilkins (50), Hessle and Joseph Wroe (37), Hull, Deckhands; George Cyril Bond (25) and William Matthew Lewis (38), Grimsby, Firemen/Trimmers; James Garton (52), Cook..
Note: U 141 (Schuler) hit two trawlers with torpedoes on consecutive days. One was JARLINN and the other KING ERIK. Both vessels exploded

Click to enlarge images

S.T. King Erik SD33

S.T. King Erik GY474 at Grimsby
Picture from the Internet

S.T. King Erik GY474

S.T. King Erik GY474
Picture courtesy of The Steve Farrow Collection

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
02/12/2014: Information updated.
29/12/2018: Removed FMHT watermark and updated information.
04/12/2020: Updated history.

S.T. Noreen Mary FD4

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Technical

Official Number: 139783
Yard Number: 710
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 207
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 117.7 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by J. Abernethy & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

5.2.1916: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.710) for Richard Watson Lewis, Aberdeen as KATE LEWIS.
7.8.1916: Completed. Richard Watson Lewis designated manager.
8.1916: Sold to The Admiralty and fitted out as a minesweeper and later a minelayer (Ad.No.2975).
17.10.1916: Registered at Aberdeen (A620).
20.2.1919: Laid in upper dock at Aberdeen awaiting restoration as a fishing vessel.
28.1.1920: Aberdeen registry closed.
1.4.1920: Recommissioned at Sheerness for duties with Actaeon Torpedo School at Sheerness part of the torpedo school HMS VERNON.
1920: Attached to HMS VERNON employed as a tender on minelaying trials.
4.8.1920: Arrived Harwich.
17.3.1921: Sailed Chatham for Guernsey.
19.3.1921: Arrived Guernsey.
4.11.1921: At Dover participated in trials with HMS THRUSTER (P.No.F76) tender to Actaeon Torpedo School at Sheerness.
18.1.1922: Employed in mining work directed by to Actaeon Torpedo School at Sheerness. Paid off into C&M at Sheerness pending decision of The Admiralty to mine training. Remains attached to Actaeon ready to complete full complement if required.
8.6.1922: 8.6.1922: To be towed to Portsmouth at first opportunity. To be attached to HMS VERNON employed as a tender on minelaying trials but not manned, crew as required to be drawn from other tenders or services.
1935: Transferred to Mediterranean Station.
1.9.1936: Arrived Portsmouth from Alexandria.
8.9.1936: Paid off to reserve.
30.10.1936: The Lords Commissioners of The Admiralty in a memo to the Privy Council stated that the accommodation in the trawlers VERNON and KATE LEWIS at all times falls below the recognised naval standard to the discomfort of the personnel on board. Recommended that hard-lying money at half rates should be paid to the officers and ratings on board those trawlers. The Privy Council approved the recommendation.
26.1.1939: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys designated manager.
2.1939: Arrived Fleetwood from Portsmouth.
10.2.1939: Arrived Glasson Dock.
4.1939: After dry docking by Nicholsons (Glasson Dock) Ltd, completed refit by James Robertson & Sons Ltd, Fleetwood and reclassified as a steam trawler at Fleetwood.
2. – 4.1939: Converted to a fishing vessel by James Robertson & Sons Ltd, Fleetwood.
24.4.1939: Registered at Fleetwood as NOREEN MARY (FD4).
25.4.1939: Sailed Fleetwood for fishing grounds (Sk. J. Reader). During trip put into Douglas, IoM with winch problems. Superintendent Engineer, W. Lewis flew over to IoM to oversee repairs. After fishing was resumed a further breakdown necessitated repairs at Peel and when a third problem arose the trip was aborted and returned to Fleetwood.
4.5.1939: First landing at Fleetwood, 158 boxes grossed £260. Harry Blackburn Jnr, President of the Fleetwood Fish Merchants Association, bought the first box of fish and as was customary was awarded a new hat.
8.1939: Sold to Carnie & Gibb, Newhaven.
25.8.1939: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.1939: Registered at Granton (GN17). William Carnie Jnr, Glasgow designated manager. Fishing from Ayr (Granton Harbour closed.
1943 HMS LOCHINVAR relocated to Granton from Port Edgar).
1.7.1944: Sailed Ayr via Oban for Butt of Lewis ground (Sk. John Flockhart); ten crew all told.
5.7.1944: At 21.50 shelled by U-boat (U.247) while fishing 20 miles W of Cape Wrath and sunk; eight crew killed*.
6.7.1944: At 04.25 two injured survivors (2nd Engineer – William Pryde & deckhand – James MacAllister) both with shrapnel wounds taken aboard HM Trawler LADY MADELEINE (P.No.FY.283)(H243).

(*Killed or MPK: Sk. John Flockhart (54), Portobello; Mate, Alex Barnet (58), Leith; 2nd Fish, Alex Mackenzie (44), Cockenzie; Ch. Eng. William Jackson (53), Eyemouth; Wilfred Allen (41), Scarborough, deckhand; George Gordon (39), fireman, Wallyford; Charles Lindsay (52), cook, Edinburgh and James F. Coates (18), apprentice, Glasgow).

14.01.1946: At the Nuremburg Trials an affidavit on the incident was given by James MacAllister, of Adelphi Place, Portobello, a deck hand on the “Noreen Mary”, which was sunk by gunfire from the U.247 while fishing off the West Coast of Scotland on July 5th, 1944. Macalister is now a rigger at Granton. The affidavit formed part of the evidence submitted by Col. H. W. Phillimore. of the British prosecuting staff, in the case against Karl Doenitz, the 55-year-old engineer’s son, who rose to command the Germany Navy and ultimately became ” Fuhrer of Flensburg.” The diary of Oberleutenant zur See Matschulst, the U-boat commander, said: “The sinking by flak of a fishing vessel in this area testifies to great offensive spirit and nerve.” Of the crew of ten, six were killed, including John Flockhart, skipper; Alexander Barnett. mate; Alexander Mackenzie, fisherman; George Gordon, fireman; Charles Lindsay, cook; and unnamed deck hand. The chief engineer, William Jackson, was thrown clear of the ship, but never seen again. In his affidavit MacAllister said two torpedoes missed the vessel. Then the U-boat surfaced and killed several men with its first machine-gun burst. It circled the helpless ship before using its heavier gun, which sank the ship. ” I swam around and managed to scramble on to the overturned bow our lifeboat. Even now the submarine did not submerge, but deliberately steamed in my direction, and when only 60 or 70 yards away fired directly at me with a short burst from the machine-gun.” MacAllister slipped down into the water until the submarine submerged. Afterwards he pulled the second engineer, William Pryde, on the wreckage with him. They were rescued at daylight by a trawler. Pryde had 48 shrapnel wounds and MacAllister 14.

Note: – James MacAllister Adelphi Place Portobello Edinburgh was later awarded the British Empire Medal (Civil Division) for exceptional gallantry and fortitude, although wounded by shrapnel he stood 8 hours until rescued allowing his more seriously wounded shipmate more room to rest.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Kate Lewis

S.T. Kate Lewis
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Kate Lewis A620

S.T. Kate Lewis A620
Picture courtesy of The Dennis Allen Collection

S.T. Noreen Mary FD4

S.T. Noreen Mary FD4
Picture courtesy of The Dennis Allen Collection

Changelog
15/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
09/06/2015: Picture added.
28/12/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
15/05/2019: Updated history.

S.T. Cloughton Wyke FD46

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3832
Official Number: 143856
Yard Number: 839
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 338
Net Tonnage: 134
Length: 138.5 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 13.0 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 600ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

17.1.1918: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.839) (“Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN JOHNSON (Ad.No.3832).
4.4.1918: Completed (1-12pdr, hydrophone and W/T).
19.4.1918: Accepted.
20.11.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as JOHN JOHNSON O.N.143856. Engaged in commercial trawling.
03.02.1920: Registered at London (Part IV) (LO291).
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
07.1921: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100 A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
1922: Sold to Ernest Wilfred Robins & William John Robbins, Hull. Ernest Wilfred Robins & William John Robbins designated joint managing owners.
5.10.1922: London registry closed.
18.10.1922: Registered at Hull as CLOUGHTON WYKE (H705).
25.1.1923: Sold to West Dock Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Ernest W. Robins appointed manager.
25.1.1923: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The National Provincial & Union Bank of England, London (A).
6.2.1924: Mortgagee re-styled National Provincial Bank Ltd.
29.5.1929: Mortgage (A) discharged.
31.5.1929: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood
3.6.1929: Hull registry closed.
4.6.1929: Registered at Fleetwood (FD46). Joseph Arthur Marr appointed manager.
1.1931: Stranded on Grey Island, Sound of Mull. Refloated and returned to service.
13.6.1932: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London (B).
21.10.1935: Delivered disabled Norwegian steamer STAR (1332grt/1922) to tug off Cumbrae Heads, Firth of Clyde.
Pre 4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection (WA/Fort William/Fleetwood).
26.5.1940: At 6.57pm. ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
1-4.6.1940: At Dunkirk evacuation.
4.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Hire rate £97.4.0d/month).
15-25.6.1940: Operation Ariel *.
15.6.1940: Left French coast.
20.6.1940: At Plymouth.
9.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
2.2.1942: Sunk by German aircraft in Humber estuary in position 52.59N 01.18.30E (Ty/Sk. C.S. Larter OBE DSC RNR) (four crew MPK, Sk. Larter wounded) along with CAPE SPARTEL (H23) (Lt. J.R. Grundy RNR).
22.10.1942: Fleetwood registry closed.

*Operation Ariel – withdrawal of remaining troops of the British Expeditionary Force from France plus other nationals, civil and military.

(MPK – Alexander G. Sutherland, A/Ldg Seaman; Arthur J. Baker, AB; Ernest Pellow, seaman; John H. Jackson, O/signalm

Notes 1 CLOUGHTON WYKE has a great interest for me. It was the vessel that brought my father off the beaches north of Dunkirk. The only time he would ever mentioned the war was to relate how himself and Lawrence Horsley “commandeered” a motorcycle and ran north to La Panne. When they got there the place was in flames but there was a Fleetwood trawler tied up alongside a burning jetty. On the foc’sle head was a group of deckies, oblivious to the shot and shell whistling all around them, betting cigarettes as to who could hit the church bell with the .303 Lee Enfield the trawler was armed with. As they pulled up, the wheelhouse window dropped and the skipper (I wish I knew who it was) leaned out and shouted “Hello Jim, need a lift home?” It was an acquaintance of his and he came straight back to Fleetwood from the Hell that was Dunkirk.

Notes 2 CLOUGHTON WYKE was converted into a minesweeper and was sunk in the Humber estuary after being attacked by German aircraft. The following quote indicates the severity of attacks at that time.
“That February was indeed the Luftwaffe’s swan song over the shipping routes, for it carried out more attacks in Nore Command waters that month (fifty) than since the previous May. All but one were in the Humber and Yarmouth Sub-Commands. The 2nd and the 5th were the worst days. On the former the Grimsby and Yarmouth M/S and patrol trawlers were attacked on station by at least twenty planes, and Grimsby’s CAPE SPARTEL and Yarmouth’s CLOUGHTON WYKE were sunk. On the latter a convoy as well as scattered warships were targets. The Harwich A/S trawler KINGSTON OLIVINE was strafed near 54G Buoy, without damage or casualties.

S.T. Cloughton Wyke FD46

S.T. Cloughton Wyke FD46
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Cloughton Wyke FD46

S.T. Cloughton Wyke FD46
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Cloughton Wyke FD46

S.T. Cloughton Wyke FD46
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
14/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
06/12/2016: Information added.
22/12/2019: Information updated.
02/12/2020: Images added.

S.T. Arley FD44

Technical

Official Number: 136893
Yard Number: 582
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 304
Net Tonnage: 122
Length: 130.4 ft
Breadth: 24.0 ft
Depth: 13.4 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesborough
Engine: 69rhp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Speed 10.5 knots

History

10.6.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.582) for The “Wyre” Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Magnus B. J. Wedum, manager) as ARLEY.
18.7.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD44).
7.1914: Completed.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.591). Based Malta.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
7.3.1921: In thick fog in the Western Approaches, approx 80 miles off Lands End, steam trawler SWAN (FD116) was run down by Seattle registered steamer EDGEMONT (6865grt/1919), struck amidships and foundered. Six men lost and five picked up by ARLEY and returned to Fleetwood.
10.1928: Fitted with W/T.
26.11.1936: Sailed Fleetwood for Iceland after fitting out as a fish carrier for Icelandic vessels bringing catches back to Fleetwood.
31.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out for minesweeping duties (P.No.FY.620) (Hire rate £81.1.4d/month).
20-26.5.1940: Evacuation from Boulogne, Calais & Dunkirk.
25.5.1940: Sailed Dover for Calais in company with the trawlers BOTANIC (P.No.FY.707) (H463), BROCK (P.No.FY621) (FD47), CALVI (GY269), FYLDEA (P.No.666) (FD72), MARETTA (P.No.FY.665) (FD45), POLLY JOHNSON (H322) and drifters PLAYMATES (P.No.FY.738) (YH141) and WILLING BOYS (P.No.FY.947) (LT737) with several river launches in tow.
26.5.1940: At 1.40am. arrived off the French coast. No evacuation order was given, but Belgian river launch SEMOIS embarked wounded and transferred to ARLEY; sailed for Folkestone with 110 French soldiers.
26.5.1940: At 6.57pm. ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
29.5.1940: At 1330 entered Dunkirk harbour in company with FYLDEA to pull the fully laden passenger steamer LOCHGARRY (1280grt/1898) away from the east pier; occupied the vacant berth. BROCK, CALVI, JOHN CATTLING and POLLY JOHNSON berthed, triple banked. At 1530 attacked by German aircraft (Junkers Ju87, Stuka dive bombers), CALVI sunk alongside and POLLY JOHNSON badly damaged. Having embarked troops on leaving, POLLY JOHNSON started to founder. Ordered to take off her troops and sink her by gunfire.
30.5.1940: Returned to Dover at 0730. landed 45 troops.
4.6.1940: ‘Operation Dynamo’ terminated.
1944: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager).
3.2.1945: Mined in the North Sea and foundered when under tow (Sk. W. Limb DSC RNR). Engineman David Petrie was the only casualty.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Arley FD44

S.T. Arley FD44
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Arley FD44

S.T. Arley FD44
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

S.T. Arley FD44

S.T. Arley FD44
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
14/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
26/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
14/05/2015: Updated history for this vessel.
10/07/2019: Updated information.
29/08/2022: Added an image.